I'm really amazed at how much the change in season affects us, whether or not we are conscious of it. On a very subtle level, the transition from winter to spring brings about changes in the Earth's vibrations, sap starts to flow, microbial communities start to awaken...generally there is a buzz in the air and all around. It's really marvellous to witness once you become aware of it, and it's all the more awe-inspiring when you realize that you yourself are a part of it!
I've been feeling really energized lately, and even on the days when I'd rather spend an extra hour in bed, the demands of life keep me going. All of the committees that I'm a part of (the Garden Committee, the Environment and Sustainability Committee, Lakeshore Environmental Gardening Society) all seem to be coming back to life after a bit of a winter lull, which is coinciding nicely with the longer days and milder weather (seems to be easier to convince people to leave their homes and come out to meetings before it gets dark!).
The most exciting upcoming event happening on the Lakeshore that I'm pleased to announce is the Tree Workshop, planned for Saturday April 30th at the Assembly Hall. It's a two-part interactive workshop led by a local resident, Ian Bruce, who is also an experienced arborist; the first part is an educational workshop about the basics of Tree ID'ing and health issues, and the second part will be held outdoors, where Ian will lead us on a tree walk to identify some of the native and non-native species in Colonel Sam Smith Park.
If you're at all interested in trees, live in the area, and would like to be a part of an exciting committee that is developing a community initiative to build the urban tree canopy, please check out the E&S website (see link above!) for contact information. I'll blog about the event and take some pictures too for those, far and away, unable to make it.
Hurray for Spring!
No comments:
Post a Comment